Sunday, February 5, 2012

When I went shopping...

Many years ago, I was on the way to a movie, with two of my friends. The movie hall was in the 5th floor. So we had to find our way through the mall, find an elevator and reach the cinema.

Despite the fact that we were running late, both my friends decided to do some shopping or just look around some stuff I must  say. I was quietly following them when suddenly both of them started moving towards opposite sections of the mall. Tried following, but it was impossible, both were running in opposite directions :-)

In the desperate yet impossible quest to  follow both of them, I almost ran into the pillar right ahead of me. Had, I run into the pillar I'd have looked like an idiot coz I tried to be in two places at the same time. Then, came my moment of realization. Never go shopping with two girls :-). I quietly cut the chase and went shopping on my own :) Once all of us were done with our own shopping, we regrouped for the movie.

Since then I made sure that the episode didn't occur again. But time and again I was required to be in two places at once or run behind two different goals at the same time . Later, this is what I figured out.

Often, we try to chase two targets though they are moving away from each other. In the almost impractical solution to chase both of targets, we forget about taking care of ourselves. This results in stress, loss of energy, unseen obstacles and sometimes even missing our own priorities.

It's important to realize such situations, take a step back and give some time to oneself. When one  slows himself down at such times,  mind and vision becomes clear. The  moment of realization presents itself. The mind invariably resorts to the most practical solution. After all,  there's no point chasing two moving targets at the same time.

Happy weekend
-kaushik

4 comments:

  1. Yes.. this also happens if we try to serve others' objectives AND do not have one of our own.
    In your mall example, when you decided to do your own shopping, the issue was resolved.
    There are lessons for the taking in our everyday activity. We need to develop the knack of recognising the lessons AND the willingness to take them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are truly a master. Summarized the post very neatly into a few words. :)

      Delete
  2. Refer the last para...

    The mind may also suggest an easier path, though the tougher path may be a better one.

    And being the expert that it is, the human mind will also present reasons for its choice.

    Sometimes, experience-based-external-wisdom can come handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally agree... the mind is way more capable than we imagine it to be. a lot of people underestimate mind's capability and look for solutions outside :) they also dont want to take their problems to others because of they dont trust other people's wisdom and finally go to temple to pray.

      Delete

Please leave your name at the end of the message