Saturday, February 18, 2012

Coffee Break


During a coffee break,  discussion between a Fresher who joined the company and a Veteran Engineer.

Veteran Engineer: I'm not happy. Company's not hiked my salary this time.
Fresher: How much money do you need?

Veteran Engineer: Equally experienced folks in our company  get paid more than I do.
Fresher: But how does that affect you?

Veteran Engineer: Other companies pay even better :(
Fresher: Then why don't you make a move?

Veteran Engineer: The non work benefits are awesome here. Life won't be so cool at other places
Fresher: Sounds a good reason to stay back :)

Veteran Engineer: But costs are increasing. Fuel, rent, loans everything's gone up. How can I manage?
Fresher: But our company don't pay so poorly. You'll  also have several years of savings.

Veteran Engineer: I still don't have any money left...
Fresher: Even after being on overseas assignments for years?

Veteran Engineer: What's the use? My kid's school charge 1 lakh rupees. If they charge so much, what can I do?
Fresher: Your kid's in Engineering?!!! I paid far less for my engineering.

Veteran Engineer: Damn you, I'm not so old. Kid's in Kindergarten  only. But its an International school.
Fresher: Why in the world you'd put your kid in such an expensive school? Did ur studies cost so much?

Veteran Engineer: I studied in good convent. 
Fresher:  You're in a good position aren't u?

Veteran Engineer: They teach well, Teach very good English. Teachers are also extremely educated. Know, the school is awesome.
Fresher: OK, then what you pay is what you get. What's the problem?

Veteran Engineer: I pay so much already, the fees will increase from next month!!! So company must hike my salary.
Fresher: Why should the company hike the salary if you decide to spend more?

Veteran Engineer: I also have to invest in real estate.
Fresher: U already live in a villa. Anyways, If you don't have enough money, why  do you want to invest.

Veteran Engineer: I've invested already in few ventures. The property value have appreciated. So I want to invest in more ventures.
Fresher: Now I know what you do with all your money.

Veteran Engineer: Do you also want to invest?
Fresher: Dude, I just got started. Moreover, we have property at our hometown. I want to learn in the initial stages of my career.

Veteran Engineer: I'm telling you, other companies pay more. You must think of shifting.
Fresher: Whatever!!!!

Veteran: Hey. Meeting time, lets go


After a few weeks, the young engineer  left his job for a new one. The Veteran Engineer found an overseas assignment for himself.

Ultimately, the question was never answered "How much money do u need"

4 comments:

  1. 1. A seemingly simple question...
    The answer, we all know. But we refuse to acknowledge. We also know that the answer is the right way to go. But we refuse to adopt.
    Here again, the human mind presents umpteen reasons to each soul for his greed.
    2. An international school ambience, in an adult's view, is a right environment for a child. But is this the right thing for the child? Doesn't he have to see the real conditions outside, so he learns to adapt to them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people know how much money they want. But there are lot more people, to whom more money translates to more happiness. I find it absurd but that's the way quite a lot people see life. Earn huge amounts of money, spend it on health which they overlooked during quest for money. Or they end up buying a Grand Villa, when they actually need only 3 bedroom

      The schools too sometimes I feel has become a status symbol.Peer pressure, the marketing crap the schools throw promising to transform the kid into Steve Jobs, teach with iPad etc. Finally you are left with a kid low on physical activity, poor socializing skills and less than adequate adaptability.

      Delete
  2. On deeper thought, this one question seems to have remained over ages.
    In one sense, this may be the underlying question which the scriptures have tried to address.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If you don't have enough money, why do you want to invest"

    The reason for all problems is man's desire.They want the best among the best and never become contented with the good things which are already there.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name at the end of the message