Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I changed my android keyboard!!!


Whenever I write blog posts from my android phone, the experience has only been harrowing to say the least. The punctuations don’t turn out right, the capitalization was all over the place, spelling errors etc.My woes were endless. Fixing of all these glitches turned out to be more time consuming than writing the post itself. As it turned out, I was using the Swype keyboard on android. I was making gestures on the touch screen, which were magically interpreted as words. Swype also accepted keystrokes like a normal touch keyboard, but so much I had gotten used to using gestures that I almost forgot that it was a normal keyboard too.

So much was the trouble using the keyboard that I was contemplating to either stop writing posts using my mobile or using an iPhone. So much for Blogging on the move!!!!

As always, I was lured towards the Apple. Started finding reasons why android sucked big time and why my new hobby (which is barely 10 posts old) has to be done only from an iPhone. But my geeky wisdom kept telling me that getting rid of my Android was not the best decision. The marketing geniuses at Apple too didn’t make things easier for me be pricing the iPhone a good 10K rupees higher than the international prices.

The dilemma existed for close to a week. Ultimately, I came to a sensible conclusion that a lot of people including myself could do a lot more with 40000 rupees than buy a new phone. 

I don’t burn cash, well... I don’t have an iPhone.

I had decided at last, the next task was to work my way around the typing woes on my phone.

The solution was simple; I just reverted back to the Stock Touch Keyboard.  My troubles came to an end. Swype keyboard is a wonderful concept. It worked great, accurate but it was limited to typing short messages, chat. Blogging, emails were entirely a different beast to deal with. The guy's at Google had built a good robust keyboard. Now I’m happy. I can blog happily from my phone and moreover didn’t burn 40K in cash. And I can wait for the iPhone 5 later this year ;-)

Quite often, you are stuck in a situation similar to the one above. Life does not go as per plan. Something which you do everyday is often a pain in the neck.  There’s an overwhelming urge to despise what you do, find more negatives against  nagging troubles and make THE BIG Change. The mind too convinces itself  that complete overhaul is  the one stop fix to all your woes. You’ll be tempted to  start over, do something new.

Most times, all it takes is a small change to fix what’s troubling you. A break, a holiday, few minutes in solitude, calming music, friends etc.. The list of the small changes you can make is endless. Not all the changes work for everyone, but there’s at least once change that will work for you.

Figuring out what works is by trial and experience. You can always seek a counsel. Bottom-line, the more you are open to making the small change, the more chances it will work. The key is “Willingness to experiment” with what works and what does not work.

Go for it, make the small change. Its the easiest way to fix nagging troubles.  Most often, things fall in place.

Enjoy the evening,
- Kaushik

4 comments:

  1. Good post overall..
    In my experience, such a change normally isn't made by oneself. One has to be compelled to make the change, often by a powerful external force (or circumstance).
    Law of physics.. Matter moves out of inertia by force.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I misread your post the first time.
    I am in conditional agreement. Peripheral changes do provide temporary relief. As most problems sprout from our own behaviour, for a sustained relief, I have found that a more fundamental change is essential, which is almost always necessitated by an external force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, but for one to reach a state of mind that a fundamental change is needed, one needs to get rid of all the nagging problems first. Only then I feel the mind can put in things in perspective and figure out the larger picture. A good counsel can help in this, but most people do not have access to a wise person :)

      Delete
  3. Most people recognise the need for the fundamental change. But don't acknowledge. Wise persons are around, but our eyes see them when we intensely feel the need for the change.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name at the end of the message